Full Record

James Cartland & Son general brass foundry, patentees & manufacturers 1886 : sole manufacturers of Andrews, Peacock's & Pugh's patent lock furniture, Beanland's patent quadrants, Thorpe's ventilating sash fasteners, Leech & Hollands window ventilator & fastener, Waycott's patent sash fastener, Hattons patent lever, roller & venetian window blind furniture, Jones patent W.C. bolt, Scott's registered sash wedge, the security casement stay, Harrison's patent machine made sunk slide flush bolts, Hall's patent selflocking flush bolts, patent helical, climax, adjustable, reliable & Smith's patent door springs [trade catalogue]
Record number:
Call No:
TCQ 683.0942 CAR
Author/s:
Subject:
Notes:
"The only gold medal awarded for high class brass foundry". Medal at Melbourne International exhibition 1881-1882. Includes partial index. Brittle condition with covers, front index pages and pages following 682 missing. Disbound and rehoused in 2 boxes.
Full text available online at Internet Archive
Provenance: Part of collection of Castle & Sons, Art Metal Workers, King St. Newtown.
Year:
1886.
Publication details:
Birmingham : James Cartland & Son Ltd.
Description:
[11], 682 p. : chiefly ill. (some col.) ; 23 x 35 cm.
Type:
trade catalogue
Abstract:
When James Cartland & Son issued its mammoth 682 page catalogue in 1886, it was one of the largest brass founders in the world. Cartland was in the brass business as early in 1823, trading in partnership as Dyer and Cartland. In 1833 the partnership
was dissolved and James Cartland then operated under his own name; his son John and other descendents joined the firm later and continued the business until it closed around 1955. For most of the time the company's base was on Constitution Hill in Birmingham, England. By the 1880s, John Cartland & Son had upwards of 500 employees and was advertising as 'Cabinet, builders' and naval brass founders', one of the many branches of the brass manufacturing industry. The versatility of brass (an alloy of copper and zinc) together with its decreasing cost during the 19th century, led to its use for a huge number of applications from musical instruments to lighting and precision scientific instruments. In 1865, Birmingham, the brass capital of the world, was home to 216 brass manufacturers from all branches of the trade. James Cartland & Son used brass to create all manner of effects - according to an 1888 article, "the brass is stamped, perforated and engraved in appropriate combinations of bronzing, gilding and oxidizing". In addition, this catalogue includes a range of goods in other materials including timber, glass and ceramic (china), the later material used from the 1840s in combination with brass for door, window and other fashionable cabinet hardware. The firm was also well-known for production of a number of registered and patented goods, some of which are listed on the title page of the catalogue, such as: Andrews, Peacock's & Pugh's patent lock furniture, Beanland's patent quadrants, Thorpe's ventilating sash fasteners, etc. By the later part of the 19th century, James Cartland & Son were regularly entering and winning awards at international exhibitions. Gold medals were won at Australian exhibitions including in Melbourne (1880/81 and 1888/89) and Adelaide (1887). Although cabinet brass was the central exhibit, the company did prepare candlesticks and inkstands in 'Jubilee and Kangaroo' patterns, specially designed for the Adelaide exhibition. In addition to exhibitions, Cartland's presence in Australia was increasing in this period: Sydney ironmongery retailer, WS Friend, illustrated in its 1886 catalogue of English hardware, 'Cartland's registered rack pulleys' and 'Cartland's registered venetian blind holder and tassel hooks'; and 'Cartland's patent double action door springs' were also of sufficient worth to be listed in The Australian builders' (and contractors') price book for 1891. A brass eagle lectern, manufactured by James Cartland & Son, was presented to St John's Church in the Sydney suburb of Ashfield in memory of Mr J M Sandy. Because of the quality and reputation of Cartland's work, it is perhaps no surprise that this 1886 catalogue was one of a number that formed part of the trade library of Sydney art metal workers, James Castle & Sons (a collection now held by the Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection at the Historic Houses Trust). Based in King Street Newtown, Castle & Sons were established in 1889 and worked in brass, copper, bronze and iron. At the Sydney Arts and Crafts Exhibition of 1892, the company displayed items for ecclesiastical purposes such as lecterns and crosses but also according to the Australasian Builder & Contractors' News: "gas standards, brackets and pendants, hanging lamps and candelabra, all of wrought brass in original and good designs, clocks, door handles and finger-plates, lettering and other articles in the same material." In later years, memorial tablets provided lucrative business. Castle & Sons regularly worked with the best Sydney architects of the day - in the late 19th and early 20th centuries this included John Burcham Clamp, Sulman & Power and Robertson & Marks. The company was finally wound up in 1966. [Michael Lech, September 2011]
more...
Links:
Item availability
{ 1 } items found
Result
Links
Year
Volume
Part
Status
Location
CallNo
Due Back
Not for loan
The Mint
TCQ 683.0942 CAR
Similar Items