Full Record

Hillman House, Roseville [house documentation ring binder]
Record number:
Call No:
house documentation ring-binder
Author/s:
Subject:
Notes:
Ring-binder includes: set of small black & white copy prints of photographs taken by Max Dupain in 1950 (Dupain archive numbers 147/1, 147/3, 147/5, 147/8, 147/9, 147/10, 147/11, 147/13, 147/14, 147/16, 147/17, 147/18]; a set of 153 colour slides and 96 x 35mm b&w negs taken taken for the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales by Ray Joyce in August 1995; a set of 54 colour slides and 60 black & white photonegatives taken for the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales by Lindy Kerr in June 1997.
File includes transcript of an oral history on Hillman House, Findlay Ave, Roseville conducted by Robert Griffin and Sally Webster with Mrs Hillman in September 1995; 12 b&w photos taken by Max Dupain and a copy of an invoice dated 1950 and addressed to Mr C Hillman from 'P.E. Kafka, Modern Exclusive Furniture'.
Year:
1995, 1997.
Description:
2 boxed ring-binders [boxes 6 & 7]
6 photoprints : b & w ; 10 x 12 cm.
251 photonegatives & tran
Type:
house documentation ring-binder
Abstract:
The Hillman House is a modernist house designed by émigré architect Dr Henry Epstein (1909-1968) in which continuous bands of steel-framed windows and extensive roof terraces - common features of advanced pre-war European houses - were created by stacking
rectangular prisms at right angles to one another. The middle prism, for example, contains the entry hall, living room, dining room and kitchen and utilises the roof of the prism below to form a north-facing sun porch and a south-facing service porch leading via stairs down to the steeply sloping rear garden. The house was built in 1948-1950 for Chaim Hillman, a tailor, and his wife Florence. Epstein designed an extensive range of furniture for the house, made by émigré furniture manufacturer Paul Kafka (1907-1972). Kafka, whose work furnished many of Sydney's modern homes of that period, was also responsible for the joinery, including the staircase. The house remained in Hillman family ownership until 1995. [MM April 2015]
more...
Item availability
{ 2 } items found
Result
Links
Year
Volume
Part
Status
Location
CallNo
Due Back
Not for loan
The Mint
house documentation ring-binder - please ask staff
Not for loan
The Mint
audio 994.41 HIL