The firm of William McGeoch & Co was first established as a brass foundry in Glasgow in 1832, eventually becoming, from the early 1890s, a manufacturer of fittings and switches for domestic lighting and yachts. The company had an office at 108 Argyle
St, Glasgow incorporating three floors of showrooms and a warehouse, with additional showrooms in Newcastle and London, and a manufacturing plant at the Warwick Works, 46 Coventry Rd, Birmingham. They were one of only a few companies manufacturing specifically designed electric light fittings at the turn of the century. In the 1930s McGeoch shifted the focus of their production to fittings, switches and fuse gear for commercial, marine and industrial applications. Under the name McGeoch Technology - and based in Birmingham since 1999 - the firm continues, in 2011, to design and manufacture light fittings for marine environments as well as power distribution and control and instrumentation panels for warships.
These unsigned designs - for ceiling fittings, dining room pendants, single light cord pendants, yacht pendants and brackets in polished brass or in art metalware -are in an Art Nouveau style and reflect the influence of metalware designers such as Archibald Knox and Charles Ashbee. They may be the work of an artist trained at Goldsmiths Technical College or the Re-creative Institute, New Cross, London, both schools established under the influence of the Arts and Crafts Movement, part of a movement to reform standards of design for industry. These elegant designs are closely related to art metalwork designs featured in the September 1898 issue of The Studio Magazine of Fine and Applied Arts. [Marina Grilanc, September 2011]