[The old Sydney Mint and Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney] / E. Warner
1 print : monochrome etching ; 24.5 x 29.5 cm. (plate-mark)
Untitled. Signed 'E. Warner' lower right.
Editioned state: 60/60.
The Hyde Park Barracks building in Macquarie Street Sydney was designed by convict architect Francis Greenway to house male convicts and erected 1817-1819. From 1848 to 1886 it served as an Immigration Depot for single females and in 1887 the central dormitory buildings and other buildings in the compound were converted to courts and legal offices. A series of additional buildings were later erected in the courtyard.
The English-born painter and printmaker Alfred Edward Warner came to Australia from New Zealand in 1919. He sometimes used the names Edgar or Edmund Warner and also used the pseudonyms G. Marler, J. Dodd, C. Jack, Breuton and 'The Marlers'. He exhibited with the Australian Painter Etchers Society and the Society of Artists in Sydney in the 1920s and early 1930s.
At the fourth annual exhibition of the Painter Etchers Society in Sydney in December 1924 Warner exhibited a etching titled 'Macquarie Street', possibly a reference to this view. An etching of the same title had been exhibited at the Society's second annual exhibition in Melbourne in October 1923.
Hyde Park Barracks ; HPB2001/4
Copyright estate of the artist.