Full Record

Behind the old Mint in Macquarie Street Sydney, ca.1935 / Thomas J. Lawlor
Click on image to enlarge
Request a copy
 
Title:
Behind the old Mint in Macquarie Street Sydney, around 1935 / Thomas J. Lawlor
Creator:
Date:
[c1935]
Format:
1 photoprint : b&w ; 15.5 x 20 cm.
Inscription:
One of 6 photographs of the former Sydney Mint included in an album labelled : 'Burdekin House / Elizabeth Bay House / The Mint. Old Sydney / 1933-35'. This photograph captioned under the image: "The Old Mint".
Subject:
Description:
This image shows part of the laneway between the Mint and the Hyde Park Barracks, looking towards the buildings that form the north range of the Barracks site. The brick building partially visible on the right foreground was a coach-house and stables, constructed for the Mint in 1894. This survived until at least the 1950s. The overgrown garden bed in front of the buildings includes several clumps of Strelitzia nicolai, a species planted in several locations around the Mint site during the early 20th century. The building on the far left of the picture was the Assay House or Laboratory for the Mint, constructed in 1860 and enlarged several times during the late 19th century. The large Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria heterophylla) is still extant.
Published in:
Insites no.32 Spring 2002 pp.4-5: "Tattered treasures".
Source:
Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection ; photograph album: Thomas J. Lawlor
Material Type:
Picture
Record number:
32654