Full Record

Entrance "The Old Mint" [Macquarie Street Sydney], ca.1935 / Thomas J. Lawlor
Click on image to enlarge
Request a copy
 
Title:
Afternoon shadows "The Old Mint" [Macquarie Street Sydney], around 1935 / Thomas J. Lawlor
Creator:
Date:
[c1935]
Format:
1 photoprint : b&w ; 20 x 15.5 cm.
Inscription:
One of 6 photographs of the former Sydney Mint included in an album labelled : 'Burdekin House / Elizabeth Bay House / The Mint. Old Sydney / 1933-35'. This photograph captioned under the image: "The Old Mint Afternoon shadows".
Subject:
Description:
This view shows the entrance forecourt of the Mint with part of its original carriage loop, created in 1854-55. This space was reduced in 1914 when Macquarie Street was widened and the new fenceline created, visible on the right of the image. The trees and shrubs of the garden beds, including the strelitzias and oleanders along the front of the building, were probably planted at this time. The Mint ceased operations in 1926 and when this photograph was taken the buildings were being used by government departments and law courts. The building on the left of the image was part of Governor Macquarie's General Hospital, built 1811-16; this was then adapted to offices when the Mint was established on the site in 1854-55. The building in the background was constructed in 1896 as a new Guardhouse for the Mint.
Published in:
Insites no.32 Spring 2002 pp.4-5: "Tattered treasures" (no image)
Source:
Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection ; photograph album: Thomas J. Lawlor
Material Type:
Picture
Record number:
32656