Terry's dairy, Rouse Hill, 1933 / H. B. Williams
Williams, H. B. (Henry Brisbane), 1869-1959.
1 print : etching ; 17.5 x 27.5 cm.
Titled 'Terry's Dairy, Rouse Hill' below print image lower left, and signed H.B. Williams' and dated '1933' lower right.
Editioned state: 1/50.
This 1860s timber slab building, with a later corrugated iron roof, operated as a dairy for the Rouse Hill estate until superseded in the 1930s by a larger semi-commercial complex built nearby. The drawing captures this period of transition, showing the building intact with fences and gates, but no longer actively maintained. The title 'Terry's dairy' refers to the fact that at the time the view was taken in 1933 the estate was owned by Nina Terry (nee Rouse) and her husband George. Nina was the great-granddaughter of Richard and Elizabeth Rouse who had established the property in the early nineteenth century.
Purchased from the artist by George Alan Terry (1871-1957); by descent to Miriam Hamilton (nee Terry).
Rouse Hill House & Farm ; HR87/7. The Hamilton Rouse Hill Collection
Copyright estate of the artist.