Burdekin House in Macquarie Street Sydney was built in 1841, probably by the architect James Hume, for Thomas Burdekin, Sydney shopkeeper. It was owned and occupied by members of the Burdekin family until its sale in 1922. When a hotel, to be called the Waldorf Astoria, was proposed for the site the Royal Australian Historical Society unsuccessfully lobbied government to acquire the house for preservation. In 1924 the house was sold to T.E. Rofe, a Sydney businessman and philanthropist. The grand spaces on the ground floor, and the back courtyard, were given over to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Ladies' Auxiliary for fund-raising functions and the upstairs rooms were let as studios for artists. A major public exhibition of fine and decorative arts was held at Burdekin House in late 1929.
The house was offered for sale again in 1933. It was purchased by the trustees of St Stephen's Presbyterian Church and demolished in August 1933 for a new church to replace the existing one in Phillip Street, itself demolished for the extension of Martin Place.