Goderich Lodge, Darlinghurst / artist unknown
Click on image to enlarge
Request a copy
Goderich Lodge, Darlinghurst / artist unknown
1 painting : watercolour on paper 19 x 28.5 cm.
Hand lettered label attached to original mount: 'Goderich Lodge - Darlinghurst. / The residence of Thos. Macquoid Esq. High Sheriff of N.S.Wales".
Goderich Lodge is one of the earliest documented works of architect John Verge. James Broadbent in The golden decade of Australian architecture: the work of John Verge (1997) describes it as "a simple, two-storied, verandahed villa with eaves, with shuttered double hung sash windows, [and] French doors into the verandah." It was built for Thomas Macquoid who arrived in the colony in 1829 to take up the appointment of Governor's Sheriff and named in honour of the patron who secured Macquoid's appointment, Secretary of State, Viscount Goderich. Broadbent notes that the house appears to have been substantially complete by August 1832 when Verge entered into his ledger a fee for 10 pounds for superintending its erection, but that the verandah appears to have been added in the following year.
This depiction of the house surrounded by bush and a post-and-rail fence, with just the beginnings of a planted garden, indicates an early date, and suggests that the picture may have been painted for the Macquoid family who occupied the house from 1832 until Thomas Macquoid's suicide in 1841.
After Macquoid's death Goderich Lodge was put up for auction and advertised as providing "for a family of the highest respectability all that can be desired". Bishop Broughton occupied the house until his departure for England in 1852. After a series of brief tenancies the house was bought in the 1850s by the brewer Frederick Tooth. By 1875 the house was owned by Captain Charles Smith, shipping magnate, who died there in 1897. The house was demolished ca. 1915 and its site partly occupied by the Hampton Court Hotel.
L98/35 ; Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection
Material Type:
Record number: