Boxes contain research material mostly assembled 2002-2003 for a proposed exhibition or publication on the life and work of architect and artist John D. Moore (1888-1958). Includes:
1. 44 page exhibition proposal prepared by Joanna Capon and Howard
Tanner, including brief biography, an outline of Moore's work as an artist, and a chronology of his architectural career (November 2003).
2. Research-related correspondence including visits to private houses and other buildings and copy photography.
3. Photographic proof sheets and colour transparencies of 11 buildings photographed for the exhibition project by Richard Stringer in April-May 2003; copy prints of Max Dupain photographs of house at Whale Beach published in George Beiers: Houses of Australia: a survey of domestic architecture, 1948.
4. Draft of proposed article on John D Moore for Art and Australia, February 2005 (by Howard Tanner); Copy of Howard Tanner's introductory essay on John D. Moore for Moore exhibition at the Christopher Day Gallery in Paddington, March 2007.
5. Howard Tanner's file notes: on location of Moore art works; on interviews with former owners of Moore houses; retired architects associated the partnership of Wardell, Moore and Dowling; Moore family members; general notes; Joanna Capon's research correspondence and file notes.
6. Files relating to holdings of John D Moore material in public and private collections; includes colour transparencies of watercolour perspective of Alfred Hill house, Raglan Street, Mosman, 1924 and perspective of new David Jones Elizabeth Street store, 1926; black and white prints.
7. Photocopies: articles published by J D Moore in The Home, Art in Australia, Architectural Review; watercolours, pencil drawings, oil paintings, architectural designs, architectural works etc, published in Art In Australia, Architecture in Australia, Art and Australia, 1919-1974; exhibition catalogues (Macquarie Galleries, David Jones Art Gallery, University of Sydney War Memorial Gallery of Fine Arts, The New Art Salon) ; general literature on John D Moore and biographical material.
8. Research files related to: proposed Cathedral of Our Lady Help of Christians, Canberra (1924-1930), includes 2 b&w photographic proof sheets (8 images); 7 colour prints and 8 colour transparencies of: preliminary perspective, large presentation perspective; plans, elevations, sections; Bathurst War Memorial Carillon, 1927-1933.